INFORMATION FOR FACULTY
FACULTY INSTRUCTIONS FOR ADMINISTERING SRT
If you do not know whether your course will have online or paper SRTs, please request this information from your Department Contact (Please note, by clicking this link, you will be directed to a Google document that requires your university email address).
If your course is cross-listed, you may wish to check that one of the departments is coordinating SRTs for your course.
For full-semester classes, students will be sent an SRT invitation by email three weeks prior to the last day of class (click here for data collection windows for all course lengths), If Canvas is in use, a prompt will appear on their Canvas page. Students may complete the SRT using a desktop computer, laptop, smart phone or other mobile device with internet connectivity.
Faculty action is not needed for online administration, although you may wish to:
- Log into the online SRT system, EXPLORANCE BLUE, to check response rates
- Remind students to complete the SRT
- Invite students to bring their mobile devices to the last class, and set aside time during the class period for them to complete the SRT if they have not yet done so
Response Rates for Online-Administered SRT
Response rates tend to be higher for SRTs administered on paper than for SRTs administered online. In the 2017-18 academic year, response rates were 77% for paper SRTs and 42% for online SRTs at the University of Minnesota. The gap in response rates is getting smaller, and you can help: there are several steps you can take to improve response rates for your course.
NOTE: Faculty CANNOT be present while SRTs are being completed; please step outside the classroom during this time.
Faculty Instructions for Administering SRT
- Obtain sufficient questionnaires for distribution to all members of the class. Red Identification Sheets will be sent to departments for each class.
- Obtain the red Student Rating of Teaching Identification Sheet for the class and place it in the packet to be returned with the completed questionnaires. The information for these is pulled directly from the University's data warehouse. If the listed instructor is not the person being rated, write the name of the person the students will be rating in the space provided and fill in their employee ID in the grid. Campus mailing information will be obtained from the data warehouse.
- Address two envelopes, large enough to hold the forms without folding them, to the name and office number of the person in your department responsible for handling student evaluations. Mark one envelope, "Student Ratings," and indicate your name and the course number. Mark the second envelope, "Unused Questionnaires."
- For full-semester classes, choose a class period during the last three weeks of the term, but not during the final exam period, to administer the questionnaire at the beginning of the class period. (Click here for data collection windows for all course lengths.)
- Ask a student volunteer to distribute and collect the questionnaires and deliver them to your department office. Give the student volunteer
- The instruction sheet
- The proper red SRT Identification Sheet
- The blank orange SRT questionnaires
- The envelopes for returning the questionnaires to your department