OMS takes the responsibility of scoring exams very seriously. The integrity of exams is protected through our security protocols.
ANSWER SHEETS AND REPORTS:
- Unscored exams must not be sent through Campus Mail. Completed course exam answer sheets must be hand delivered to our office by the instructor or a
personally-designated staff member OR sent via Campus Courier.
- UMN course exam reports are ready 24 hours after receipt. Faculty will be notified immediately if any circumstances require more than 24 hours.
- A signature is required when picking up reports and answer sheets at OMS or when they are delivered by Campus Courier.
- All exams are logged in and out of our database with shipping (or pickup) information.
- All report packages include electronic transfer via our secure portal.
Preparation for Scanning:
- Exams are logged into database with course information and arrival time
- Scoring instructions are reviewed and verified
- Answer keys are checked to verify accuracy with scoring instructions
- Scanned data is reviewed to verify that omitted questions, multiple answers, and erased answers are accurately represented
- Reports are reviewed to verify accuracy relative to scoring instructions
- Electronic reports are sent through the OMS secure portal
- Details are logged when scored exams are being returned to the instructor, including:
- Time the exam was checked out of the database
- If sent, shipping method and address being shipped to
- If picked up at OMS, the time the exam was checked out
Optional Service for Additional Security
OMS offers the option of printing Individual Student Reports to augment the security of exams after they have been returned.
Faculty may request Individual Student Reports on the Exam Report Order Form.
Benefits of Individual Student Reports:
- Adds to instructional value by providing a page for each student with score, percentile rank and group statistics
- Lists each incorrectly answered item, showing the student’s answer and the correct answer
- May minimize cheating, as Individual Student Reports are more difficult to alter than answer sheets
- Faculty is able to retain original student answer sheets for recordkeeping
Recommended Best Practices for Faculty
- Maintain control of exams at all times before and after testing
- Prepare more than one version of the exam
- Do not reuse identical exams from previous semesters
- Require students to sit in separated and randomly selected seats
- Ensure that only registered students take the exam by tracking who takes the exam
- Use active proctors to monitor student activity during testing
- Prohibit communication devices in the exam room
- Do not allow students to leave the exam room during the exam
- Count the number of students in the classroom
- Count the exams before and after the testing period
- Collect exams promptly and in a structured manner
- Document who returned exams
- Monitor the release of exams and the distribution of all student information
- Return Individual Student Reports to students in place of answer sheets
We score all exams in a secure, timely, and accurate manner following UMN best practices.